Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dulce de leche Tart


It's not Thai menu this time! Last night I tried a new recipe using 'Dulce de leche' that I brought from Argentina several months ago. In Argentina, I had Dulce de leche with toast and also some cookies or biscuits also contain this. I really love the taste and smell of this which is more like caramel. I knew that Dulce de leche is made from boiling condensed milk until brown.. so.. I will look into that recipe when this jar is finished.
As a Thai, I don't think there are many Thais who know Dulce de leche, but it's something that my wife really loves! It was pretty tough for me to think which recipe I should use to make something nice for our dessert last night. It took me the whole day planning for this menu and until I started baking the bottom part, I still had no idea what I should finish on the top!! After 10 mins in the oven, I decided to use crumb on top of Dulce de leche layer. Let's try this.. it's really really yummy!!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup salted butter (most recipes use unsalted butter but I had only salted one..)
1 cup white sugar
1 egg large
1 cup Graham cracker (coarse ground)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 t.sp. baking powder
3/4 cup Dolce de leche (or caramel)
Ingredients for crumb topping:
1/2 cup salted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
Cooking:
- Preheat the oven at 175 C
- Beat butter and sugar with mixer until pale cream
- Add the egg, mix another 2 minutes
- Add cracker, flour and baking powder, gently fold to mix with the butter. Do not mix too much.. softly fold is good enough.
- In a 9"x13", pour the mixture into it and bake in the oven for 15 minutes
- While baking, you need to prepare the crumb. Put all crumb ingredients into a bowl and I use fork to break the butter (the butter should be hard, I left it in room temperature for 30 minutes but not melt)
- Keep breaking until all the butter, sugar and flour looks like sand
- Bring out the tray from the oven. Spread Dulce de leche on it. Then top with crumb.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Leave for 15 minutes and cut into 8-10 pieces
This tart is good when it's colder. But my wife likes it more when it's hot because the caramel smells much better when it's melt! This is very easy and really really delicious!! I guarantee!

No comments:

Post a Comment